Sunday, October 6, 2013

Week 12: Sammy's Pizza (Coon Rapids, MN)

I know you’re sick of hearing about my difficulties driving and parking my own car.  Beyond those challenges, I also happen to harbor an almost pathological fear of automotive warning lights.  I believe these are referred to by smug automotive manufacturers and mechanics as “idiot lights” and they are meant to alert the car owner or driver of a possible malfunction somewhere.  My own car has a variety of colored lights on its instrument panel, designed to warn me of a variety of impending and likely expensive doom.  I’m also quite convinced that the people who design idiot lights are cruel sadists.  Otherwise, perhaps the lights would indicate the actual car problem versus simply flashing up red and orange pictures of wavy lines; water spigots; and devil horns.  (Or at least, that’s what they look like to me).  When these lights go on in my trusty Honda Civic Hybrid (100,000 miles and going strong!), my blood pressure rises, I start to sweat, and if I happen to be driving at the time, I veer to the side of the road, whip the glove compartment open, and promptly seek guidance from my owners’ manual. 

Why is this relevant, you ask?  I’m getting there.  As you may know, in addition to my own challenges behind the wheel, my beloved hubby cannot stand being a passenger in my car.  Something about the way I drive being compared to how elderly people . . . . do something x-rated.  Let us not discuss it.  Thus, when we leave the house as a couple, my hubby drives most of the time.  He won’t drive my car due to its lack of “get up and go” and also because I insist on using a furry pink steering wheel cover, which is a tad bit emasculating, I’ve been informed.  (Does it have to be pink?  No. But I do need a steering wheel cover because I don’t want to burn or freeze my delicate princess hands.)  So, when we left the house and headed 15.1 miles mostly north to Coon Rapids, MN, we took the hubby’s expensive German automobile.  And as soon as we exited the driveway, I became extremely agitated because I observed illuminated idiot lights on the dash. 

While I wanted to turn the car around, head home, and take the Honda, my hubby took it in stride and told me everything would be fine.  He does not subscribe to the “whip out the manual immediately to determine if the car is going to blow up” school of thought, as it turns out.  And off we went.

Although my hubby was determined to act like everything was hunky dory, I caught him listening to the car noises and when we finally arrived in Coon Rapids half an hour later, he popped the hood, swore under his breath, phoned a friend, and realized he was going to need to take the car to a professional.

Hence, pre-pizza moods were impacted.
Princess: 5
Hubby: 3.5 

Week 12 brought us to Sammy Perella’s Pizza and Restaurant in Coon Rapids, MN.  A few things to note about week 12.   Although Sammy’s was recommended by a friend whose pizza palate has never done me wrong in the past, he specifically did not recommend the Coon Rapids location and instead, insisted that we head to Duluth to try this life-changing pizza.  Because I can’t follow directions, Mark, we went to Coon Rapids instead.  And I’m sorry.  The other thing you should know is that the name Coon Rapids makes me giggle.  I’ve visited this fine suburb several times and I have not once observed a raccoon, so I’m not real sure about the “coon” part of their name, but the “rapids” refers to both the Mississippi River and possibly, the pace at which pizza is delivered to your table at Sammy’s, which was near record-breaking.  Rapid?  Indeed.

Parking Situation:  We again found ourselves in an Aurelio’s style strip mall.  The parking lot wasn’t as nice but the quality of the other strip mall tenants was slightly better.  We found a great spot near the door and after a few minutes of obsessing about the problems with the expensive German automobile, we headed inside.

Exterior Appearance:  Have you been to a strip mall restaurant?  Because that’s exactly what this looks like.  Enough said.

Entrance/Welcome: Walking in to Sammy’s is like getting into a DeLorean time machine and heading back in time.  I’m not exactly sure what era the décor is from or what type of vibe they’re going for, but there is definitely a cheesy (not to be confused with pizza) factor to the décor.  An old-fashioned hostess stand completes the look but we were greeted and seated promptly, so I’m observing, not complaining.



Clientele/Overall Vibe:  Apparently – and according to my hubby who ‘fessed up that he actually ate at Sammy’s at one point in his sordid past – Sammy’s has a fairly decent lunch buffet.  We were there for dinner so I cannot confirm or deny this rumor.  Other diners included a large number of blue hairs; some families; and other local types.  This is not a place for a date night; it’s not a place to see and be seen; it’s a place to get some grub.  On the plus side, we probably didn’t need to dress up to go there.



Wait Staff: Our server was very pleasant and helpful.  We consulted her for advice on what to order and she shared her personal preferences as well as what is popular with the locals.  She was efficient and friendly.

Menu Selection:  The menu is large and you can order anything from broasted chicken to Stromboli to burgers to pizza.  They do a little bit of everything.  They have specialty pizzas as well as make-your-own and you can peruse the whole menu here.  We went with a large Sammy’s Special, which featured Italian sausage, green pepper, and onion.  We also added black olives. 

Food Wait Time: Not only did we remember to set the timer this time, but we nearly dropped dead when our pizza arrived a mere 12 minutes after placing our order.  That’s what I call rapid!

Drumroll, Please . . . the Pizza Itself:  Perhaps our enjoyment was impacted by the pre-pizza idiot lights, but neither one of us had our socks knocked off by Sammy’s.  The pizza is . . . forgettable.  It was a step above a Domino’s delivery but frankly, Sammy’s ranks low on my list of pizza eateries.  The thin crust pizza was cut in squares, but the crust reminded me of communion wafers.  I almost expected my priest to show up with a challis and a blessing.  There’s a reason they only give you a tiny wafer at mass.  They don’t want you to fill up on the body of Christ, sure – but they also know that communion wafers are not delicious.  Either was this pizza crust.  ‘Nuff said.  The rest of the pizza wasn’t much better.  Aside from being overwhelmingly salty, there wasn’t much flavor anywhere.  There were some toppings, they were bland.  There was some sauce, it was salty.  We ate it, we got full, but we certainly didn’t pick up a souvenir t-shirt on our way out.  And if I can be honest, I was a little angry because I ingested a whole lot of salt, fat, and grease that I would be forced to sweat out at barre fitness and with Trainer Aaron and I didn’t even enjoy it!



Price & Value: I can’t even comment.  I think the prices were fine but since I did not enjoy the pizza, I am hardly going to give this place thumbs up for value.  I mean, seriously, all I could think about was communion wafers.  I almost tithed before I left. 

Post-Pizza Mood: After eating forgettable pizza, we returned to the expensive German automobile, where we basked in the glow of idiot lights all the way home.  No, our moods were not improved.  In fact, they were worse than when we arrived.  We both left Sammy’s at a mood of about 2. 


Bottom Line: I need to listen to my friends.  When they say, “go to Duluth”, I should not interpret this as, “go somewhere to the north of where you live, it will probably be the same.”  So, Mark – I’m sorry. And as your friend, let me advise you to stay the heck out of Coon Rapids if you want to continue your love affair with Sammy’s.  And for the rest of you . . . if you’ve had a different experience with Sammy’s of Coon Rapids, I’m all ears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment